More than 1,500 athletes over the age of 50 from across the state will compete in the Michigan Senior Summer Olympics over the next few weeks, with events scattered at venues throughout Oakland and Macomb counties.
The 23 MSO Summer Games events are scheduled for two blocks: August 12-21 and September 10-11.
The Opening Ceremonies will take place Friday, August 12 at Bloomer Park in Rochester (345 John R Road), with free admission, free food, live music from Grooving Violation and vendor tables, a ceremony of the torch and inflatable activities for children.
Tickets are sold out for the Athlete Celebration Dinner and Hall of Fame Awards Ceremony at Oakland University’s Oakland Center on Saturday, August 20, featuring NBA alumnus Earl “The Twirl ” Cureton as guest speaker. There is a waiting list for those still interested in tickets.
This summer’s events are the official qualifiers for next year’s Senior National Games in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
This year’s events include:
(In chronological order)
• Shuffleboard, August 12, Waterford Recreation Center
• Pickleball, August 12-15, Life Time Fitness in Rochester Hills
• 5K Run, August 13, Oakland University
• 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament, August 14, Oakland University
• 10,000 km race, August 15, Oakland University
• Swimming, August 15, Oakland University
• Cycling, 16-17 August, Waterford Hills Road Race
• Tennis, August 17-19, Oakland University (outdoor courts)
• Badminton, August 18-19, Troy Community Center
• Golf, August 18-19, Twin Lakes Golf Club at Oakland Twp.
• Basketball Skills Challenge (free throw shooting and 3-point contest), August 20, Sterling Heights Community Center
• Archery, August 21, Marsh View Park at Oakland Twp.
• Disc golf, August 21, Firefighters Park in Troy
• Powerwalk, August 21, Oakland University
• Racewalk, August 21, Oakland University
• Athletics, August 21, Oakland University
• Cornhole, September 10, Clawson Troy Elks Lodge
• Football, 10-11 September, Legacy Sports Center in Brighton
• Softball, September 10-11, Clintonwood Park in Clarkston
• Volleyball, Sept. 11, Elite Sportsplex at Waterford Twp.
• Billiards, October 9, Side Pocket Billiards in Lapeer
• Powerlifting, October 15, location to be determined
• Dancesport, October 23, Royal Park Hotel in Rochester
Table tennis (August 7) and bowling (July 31-August 1) events have already been played.
For more information on the games or updates on the event schedule, visit www.michiganseniorolympics.org.